Kyle Curtis: Munich Reflection

Throughout my experience studying abroad, I felt a sense of excitement and spontaneity. My first time outside of the United States opened my eyes to how different and similar European countries are. I loved how there was a structure within the tours but also enough free time in order to explore the city on my own time with fellow classmates.

Growing up, my family and peers always told me that studying abroad and traveling around the world while you are young is something you must take advantage of if given the opportunity. I look back to when I originally saw the announcement for the Munich program and my mind immediately flooded with all of the different people in my life telling me that this kind of experience had a major impact on their life.

Without a doubt, it is an experience I will never forget. I bonded with people on the trip and created long-lasting memories that I will cherished forever. Everything that anyone had ever told me growing up regarding the study abroad experience was true and more. I learned an enormous number of new ideas and perspectives. The program truly opened up my mind.

Some things I learned during my time there include the change of culture from Germany to the United States. I noticed and picked up on different habits that may not be normal in the United States. Additionally, I found out the hard way that drinking water was more expensive than beer in most places. All in all, I would not have changed much about the study abroad experience besides the initial coordinator who met us in the city and who did not really seem to know what she was doing. A lot of us felt like it was a good thing in disguise as it forced us to learn how to navigate the city right away. Looking back, I do not know if there were any improvements I could have made, I was running on minimal sleep which was really the only negative. Other than that, I did everything in my power to experience and participate in everything that I could with my fellow classmates. The study abroad itinerary also did a wonderful job of establishing free time allowing us to explore freely while also having tours and other informational aspects involved as well, such as the Olympic park or tour of Munich.

The cultures and traditions of my time in the US, especially those revolving around football, have been limited. I have stuck to the traditions of my family and friends and have yet to experience what the rest of the world does before this event. At the event I was in awe at how many pure football fans were at the stadium, regardless of the two teams playing, they loved the game. As stated in my article, my biggest takeaway was how cool it was to see people from so many different cultures come together and find love in one underlying game. Tailgating and everything leading up to the game was very similar to what occurs here in the United States and made me feel comfortable as they are activities I have been doing my whole life.

On the topic of challenges faced, language was not too big of a problem since most Germans spoke English, although it was very obvious we were from the states. We brought technology kits from the University and that helped us conduct interviews and get shots. My initial plan was to do man-on-the-street interviews but after arriving and seeing the scene I realized it would be ideal to shoot interviews and capture the aura of the atmosphere through quotes and fans’ experiences. While problems were faced, outcomes were easily found.

Another issue we ran into was elevator malfunction, just our luck. On the final night of our study abroad experience my classmates and I were around the city taking in the final views before we made it back to the hotel. Once arrived back at the hotel, we all convened in the hotel lobby for a little while before all deciding to head back to our rooms for an early flight back to the United States.

After entering the elevator and pushing all of the appropriate floor numbers, we proceeded to go up a floor or two before the elevator halted in its tracks.

The elevator was stuck.

With seven of us in the elevator, the first reaction was “wow, why us”. Then as time passed, worries increased as we started to hear people working on the elevator.

After nearly an hour in the elevator with six of my other classmates, we were finally rescued by the Munich Police Department. Needless to say, everyone was a bit sluggish on the flight back home.

My global perspective has changed drastically and showed me how much opportunity there is outside of our Gainesville bubble. It has inspired me to go out and travel more while I can and appreciate the opportunity for my eyes and mind to be opened thanks to what I witnessed in Munich. The course’s objectives applied to my experience because even when we weren’t doing school-related activities it was still easy to talk to other tourists or locals about what we were there for, making it easy and more enjoyable for everyone involved.

Posted: December 5, 2022